Personal tools
User menu

Bethpage Assembly of God

From Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Central Park Pentecostal Church met for about eight years in a meeting room above Deubel's Restaurant on the corner of Stewart Avenue and Central Avenue where the Nassau County Police Booth is now located. In l922 the people built a small chapel on the east side of Stewart Avenue south of Central Avenue. Here they met until 1952 when they merged with the Assemblies of God Church. In the spring of l953 the congregation began to construct the present church and educational building. Most of the labor was done by members of the congregation.

The below information is from the weekly newspaper THE PLAIN-PAGE - Wednesday, October 7, 1953 (paper cost 3 cents)

Laying the cornerstone for new Assembly of God Church, Stewart Avenue, Sunday afternoon, by the Rev. Walter Radawski and his wife, the Rev. Helen Radawski. William Sloan, secretary of the board of trustees and a 25 year member of the church also took part in the ceremony. The Rev. Oliver Collier took over the service in the absence of the Rev. Thomas R. Brubaker, who was delayed by Sunday Traffic. Mr. Collier was with the FBI for 18 years before entering the ministry. The foundation for the church was started in June and all work has been done by members and friends of the church.

  • This page was last modified on 29 October 2013, at 22:13.
  • This page has been accessed 1,055 times.