Bethpage Methodist Church
From Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia
The first house of worship in Central Park (Bethpage) was the Methodist Episcopal Church founded by Joshua Powell (great, great grandson of Thomas Powell) in 1835. This church stood on Hicksville-Massapequa Road in the area of the cemetery at the end of Central Avenue. In 1920 the worshippers moved the church to where it stands today on Broadway south of Central Avenue. Services have been conducted in this building for more than 150 years.
(Land donated by Joshua Powell where the Plainedge Cemetery is at the west end of Central Avenue at the junction of Hicksville Road. It was called the Plainedge Methodist Church and Joshua Powell was the first minister.Submitted by Jack Gifford)
On May 12, 2015 Pastor Bob of The United Methodist Church of Bethpage sent the following letter, in part, to Friends, Members,and Neighbors of the Bethpage UMC: Sadly, due to declined in attendance and membership it has become extremely difficult for the congregation of the Bethpage United Methodist Church to sustain itself financially. Through much discussion, and prayerful consideration, the Bethpage UMC congregation made the decision to merge with the Simpson United Methodist Church with whom the church shares a pastor as a 2-Point Charge. On June 7, 2015 at 9:00 AM the Bethpage UMC invites you to a final official Service of Worship. This event will be a day of New Beginnings - the Bethpage UMC will continue as it will merged with Simpson UMC congregation. Furthermore, the Bethpage UMC property will continue as a church - with the Regeneration Church congregation.
- This page was last modified on 1 June 2015, at 00:45.
- This page has been accessed 2,902 times.