From Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia
The Nassau Brick Co., located on Round Swamp Road in Old Bethpage. The brickyard has been in business since 1936, but the yard dates back to 1865. Alexander T. Stewart, the founder of Garden City, ran a railroad spur from Garden City to the brickyard in Old Bethpage to supply the building blocks for his new village.
Over the years the brickyard, a busines that started with hand labor and horsepower, now has become less profitable because of high energy costs and competition from the larger, more modern yards in the South.
The Town of Oyster Bay has purchased the mined out land to become part of the town's sanitary landfill.
Information from NEWSDAY - January 10, 1980
- This page was last modified on 30 October 2013, at 20:43.
- This page has been accessed 839 times.