Personal tools
User menu

Central Park Fire Department

From Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

There was no fire department prior to 1910. About $852.00 was collected from 60 residents and a fire district of about 10 square miles was formed. There were two fire companies and Mr. John Kunz was the first foreman. It became Central Park Fire Department and in 1920 their first chief, Mr. Charles Romscho was elected. The building was designed by Mr. Foster and constructed on Stewart Avenue by Mr. John Kunz on land donated by Henry Sengstacken. At the time the street was called Jerusalem Avenue.

During the construction each fireman was "taxed" one sheet of 4 X 8 sheetrock which he had to install himself.

The first piece of fire equipment was a hand drawn wagon with a vat of water. The first alarm was a large iron wagon wheel.

Information from Jack Gifford in CPHS NEWSLETTER - October 1996

See Central Park Fire Company

  • This page was last modified on 27 February 2017, at 02:05.
  • This page has been accessed 1,520 times.