From Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia
Farmingdale was part of the 1695 Thomas Powell Bethpage Purchase from three local Native American Tribes (Massapequas, Matinecocks and Secatogues.) In l830 the impending construction of the Long Island Railroad brought Ambrose George, land developer, to the community known as Hardscrabble, He purchased a large track of land and gave the area the name of Farmingdale. In l841 the railroad service began, new homes were built along with a church and post office. In l886 a fire department was organized.
In l904 residents formed an incorporated village with a mayor, board of trustees and judge. The area produced cucumbers, cabbage and cauliflower. A silk dye works, brickyard and Nassau County TB Hospital employed residents. During World War II defense plants, such as Republic, Ranger, Fairchild, Liberty, etc., employed many local residents.
In 1933 a large portion of the Benjamin Yoakum estate was purchased by the State of New York and developed as the Bethpage State Park.
- This page was last modified on 3 November 2013, at 17:39.
- This page has been accessed 921 times.