Robinson, Jeremiah Weaver (J W)
From Central Park Historical Society Encyclopedia
Jeremiah, born 9/30/1881, the son of a tinsmith a trade he learned. He went to school in a little red school house in Central Park on Broadway (the location today of the Gifford home at 593 Broadway).
Jeremiah Robinson, country squire, who was a well-known sand and gravel pit operator in Nassau County. Some of his construction jobs included the paving of the main streets of Farmingdale and Oyster Bay, and he also supplied material for the building of the Nassau County Tuberculosis Hospital in Farmingdale. Jeremiah also enjoyed riding and jumping his saddle horses, and to hunt and fish in the fields and shores of Long Island. He was a member of the Matatuck Gun Club. His home was a large estate on Broadway (now Plainview Road) and Hay Path Lane (now Haypath Road) where he lived with his wife, the former Jenny Underhill (whom he married in 1907 at the age of 24), and his three sons. His sons, Alex, born 5/28/1912, and Shaw, born 3/24/1909, were prominent polo players on Long Island and New Jersey and they had a string of seven polo ponies. Lewis, born 11/24/1916, the youngest son, graduated from Colgate University and with his two brothers worked for their father, and had their own home on the Robinson estate.
(Information from the NASSAU DAILY REVIEW STAR - 1941 BY David W. Beauchamp)
- This page was last modified on 5 November 2013, at 21:18.
- This page has been accessed 764 times.